More Pages Coming Soon!

Wednesday 1 October 2014

Recycling Jeans Into A Quilt

The last couple of weeks found me with a surplus of blue jeans that had been given to me by friends or handed down through the local Free Store.


Denim is an amazing material to work with. It is durable and strong but can be soft and supple at the same time.


Some of the pants that I acquired recently had hardly been worn, and even on the pairs of pants that had some signs of wear around the knees there was still lots of great fabric for quilt patches. The first thing I do with pants to be used for fabric is cut out the waistline and pockets.


Then I was left with long, flat strips of fabric that I cut into standard 5" squares.


Jeans! Instant stash builder.

  

I paired the denim squares with some charm squares. The fabric in the charm pack has a nautical theme and the colors work well with shades of blue. I made some nine patch blocks to be worked into a quilt top with some sashing and a border.


 Originally I considered making a disappearing nine patch quilt, but I like these so much I think I am going to leave them as is. I love the sea animals most of all in this collection.
 

Unfortunately I love making quilt tops and then when it comes to actually quilting the layers together I seem to need a little push to get going and finish them up. I have some Christmas presents to complete! But it is always refreshing to take some time out and do something different.


Have a great day out there in blogland!

3 comments:

  1. It's going to be a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great, those fabrics work brilliantly together. I'm cutting up denim too at the moment, but not for a quilt, for a pumpkin! It's a very versatile fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh there, this is great stuff! I love working with denim and yes, its a very versatile fabric.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

You May Also Like: