More Pages Coming Soon!

Friday 10 January 2014

Pumpkin Pie

I love pumpkin pie so much! In 2012 my garden was so full of pumpkins, I was making pumpkin pies about once a week all through the winter. It was hard to keep up!


A big pumpkin is a lot of food to try and eat before it goes bad. We live off the grid and have no refrigerator so I basically ate pumpkin pie for breakfast. A lot. This year I planted a variety of pumpkin called "orange cutie" and one of those pumpkins is perfect for making a quick pie. Sorry, Cinderella.


Emily's Pumpkin Pie 
(makes 2)

1 3/4 cups brown sugar
1 tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
3 cups pumpkin puree
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup milk or cream

Preheat oven to 425 F. Line two 9" pie pans with pasty. Combine filling ingredients in a large bowl and beat until smooth. (Using a blender or food processor for this makes for a fabulous pie.) Pour into lined pans and bake for TEN MINUTES. Then reduce heat to 300 F and bake for 50 minutes more, or until filling is firm.

This last tip is from the Fanny Farmer Cookbook which is where this recipe started. I got it from my sister-in-law who makes amazing pumpkin pie! This is also a really easy pie to make with a gluten-free crust because you can just press the crust into the pan, and no rolling is necessary.

Here are some more of my photos taken on a clear and sunny winter morning on the coast.


The park is full of incredible Arbutus trees.


A little waterfall trickling into the ocean,


Wild rosehips,


Guess what? Otter poop. Full of shell shards!


Nature's will to thrive. These plants are growing out of rocks.


An eagle's nest in a windswept tree.


The eagle flew in low and did some showy flying.


A gnarly Arbutus. These trees take so many forms!


This is a hand made well, up-stream from the waterfall. 
It was dug by pick-axe by Japanese fishermen that used to live on the island.


Of course I had to do some yoga in the sunshine.
 (I don't recommend doing this pose in blue jeans and gumboots. Seriously.)

How else do you think I stay in shape with all those pies and cookies??

Namaste my friends! 
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

You May Also Like: